Half a millennium of fun history in Hertfordshire
Do you want to experience the real England, the genuine England that the English themselves head for and enjoy?
If so, your private traditional iconic London black taxi will whisk you away to the nearby county of Hertfordshire; you will experience what the heart of the English countryside is truly about. It’s so near to London and yet, in many respects, it could be a million miles away.
You will savour this exciting tour with a difference. While our London to Stonehenge tours are always a popular destination, there is so much more to the English countryside than Stonehenge but we’ll gladly take you there as well, of course!
All prices include pick-up and return to your Central London hotel or other Central London venue of choice. All tours last for the stated length and can start at a mutually agreed time.
On this magical day trip, you will experience:
• quaint historic villages
• England’s green and pleasant countryside
• historic (and haunted!) country pubs
• an historic 13th century church with a big story to reveal
All set to the backdrop of three exciting narratives spanning over three centuries!
• In your first story, you’ll get to know a cast of characters (including an eccentric Italian) and what an event in 18th century London has to do with a field in a picturesque village in deepest Hertfordshire.
• In the second narrative, you’ll be following in the tracks of the famous 17th century diarist, Samuel Pepys, and visiting the pub he actually stayed in, just down the road from the above field.
• Your third story features a real life 16th century character from Hilary Mantel’s Wolf Hall who lived both in Hackney, in the East End of London (in an erroneously named house!) and a mile from the inn that Pepys stayed in.
On this day trip you will also enjoy a lunch* in a traditional 16th century pub (where you can sample the delights of traditional English warm ale!) and keep a lookout for the many ghosts haunting it.
In England, there is generally a church found in close proximity to a pub and this is no different. We’ll be visiting the ancient church opposite which is famous for its 13th century font and the splendid tomb of the Wolf Hall character we met in our third story.
This is a full day trip from London. You will be picked up from your London hotel and we’ll drop you back to wherever you stipulate in Central London afterwards.
You will, of course, have plenty of opportunities to explore and take photos.
Prepare to be amused, educated and entertained! We look forward to being your hosts on this historic Hertfordshire tour very soon!
*Lunch not included. Free light refreshments will be carried on board.